Resistance Literature

October 18, 2010

I know this is an awkward introduction, but I feel the most important thing to resistance literature is the language it is written in. Just like the Hawaiians when the missionaries arrived didn’t understand through the translation that “everlasting life” meant an afterlife, there’s a poor understanding of what the author is trying to say. I think if their literature starts out in their own language, there’s a deeper sense of what the author is trying to say. If the translation fails to justify the author’s argument, there is still the original document to convey the importance of their story.

As for my interpretation of what resistance literature is, I think it’s any form of language: song, poem, speech, story, essay, etc., that expresses a persons thoughts and/or feelings of the situations faced in their society. Whether it’s a poor man on the street singing about a law that’s been passed or an educated scholar writing a paper on the tragedies faced in their country’s history, anything that conveys negative commentation is resistance literature.

2 Responses to “Resistance Literature”

1.   dzantua Says:

I agree with your deconstructed, deglorified notion of resistance literature. You are very astute in going with emphasis being placed moreso on the content and less on focusing on what form is used, what language, etc.

2.   dzantua Says:

In putting up guidelines to resistance literature, it forms a new demon of alienation.